The Punjab Armed Police traces its history to before the partition days when a contingent of about 1000 men was raised during the year 1941 at Lahore as “Additional Police” to assist the regular Police Forces, mainly as striking reserves.
After partition, during the year 1947, the Headquarters of this force was shifted from Lahore to Jalandhar Cantt. and it was re-designated as the “Punjab Armed Police “. With Independence, the role and responsibilities of this force were increased in manifolds, and it had been inducted for policing the Indo-Pak Border in addition to its duty of assisting the civil Police. Due to Chinese invasion during the year 1962, there was spurt in raising of P.A.P. Battalions. There was a strength of 37 Battalions of P.A.P. at the time of trifurcation of Punjab during the year 1966, 32 Battalions were merged in B.S.F., C.R.P.F., S.S.B., H.A.P. and Himachal Armed Police, leaving behind a strength of 5 Battalions in Punjab. Subsequently, two Battalions were raised during the year 1971. Thereafter, two more PAP Battalions were raised during the year 1981 and one each in the year 1988 and 1989. The later on two PAP battalions had been subsequently converted into Commando Battalions. At present total number of PAP Battalions is Eight. Out of these, the Headquarters of four Battalions are located at Jalandhar, of two Battalions at Chandigarh and of one Battalion each at Bahadurgarh (Patiala) and Amritsar. Punjab Armed Police was sanctioned a strength of about 43 NGOs, 138 Head Constables and 1433 posts of Constables under Action Plan during the year 1989-90, which was distributed among the Battalions.
The Commando Battalions and Indian Reserve Battalions, which are headed by separate Inspectors General of Police. Now the Commando Battalions are headed by the ADGP SOG & CDO Bns. But all the Armed Bns. are functioning under the overall Command & Control of ADGP/Armed Bns.
A training Centre for imparting basic training was sanctioned with its Headquarters at Jalandhar Cantt. by the State Govt. during the year 1991. Similarly, an In-Service Training Centre was also sanctioned with its Headquarters at Kapurthala during the year 1993 by the Govt. of Punjab.
LOCATION OF PAP BATTALIONS
Presently, the Hqrs. of four Battalions viz. 7th, 27th, 75th, and 80th Battalions are located in the PAP Complex, at Jalandhar Cantt. The other two Battalions (13th and 82nd Bns.) at Chandigarh, One Battalion (36th Bn.) at Bahadurgarh (Patiala) and one Battalion’s (9th Bn ) located at Amritsar.